Thursday, May 27, 2010

Potatoes and pancakes

We really didn't have a whole lot of hope when we planted seed potatos we bought at the hardware store in Catlett, Virginia. It was a whim really. We saw the sign for seed potatoes and remembered we'd read about someone who planted seed potatos, so the brother and I chopped em up and stuck them in bags with hay and compost. He was pretty sure I was delusional, in fact, never having seen someone plant potatoes and by virtue of the fact that the little things really didn't look like they would grow. I mean, they're sprouted potatoes. They don't look like fierce vines, exactly.

Wings teaches the brother how to sit on a horse.

These were the potato plants a few weeks ago:



And a few weeks ago:



And tonight:



This prompted me to think of all the amazing things that a person can do with potatoes. Like make Latkes. Latkes are a traditional Jewish Channukah dish,
given that they're uberfried in oil they really aren't exactly something you should eat more frequently than a few times a year. But they are very simple and they are wonderful.

Potato Latkes:

- A couple of good simple baking potatoes, shredded (My grandmother always said they weren't complete without knuckles in them from handgrating, I'm a vegetarian and I don't want to eat knuckles so I use my cuisinart)
- Eggs to hold them together
- Chopped parsley
- Sea salt to taste, and cracked pepper

Drain the potatoes and get all the moisture out, then mix up with eggs and salt and parsley. Fry in oil (I used a little olive and vegetable oil). Serve with applesauce or sour cream. Don't be a weirdo and use ketchup. That's just weird.

I garnished with chives, because chives are nice.

On another note, the tomatos look nice:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More updates please - How are the taters doing?